Forensics team takes honors at super regionals

Autumn Turpin, Editor

On March 9 four members of the Galileo High School Forensic Team traveled to West Point, Va. to compete in the VHSL Super Regionals earning several honors.

“I was very happy with how the competition went for many reasons,” Forensics Coach Glenn Weyler said.  “Trevor Percario has been on the team since his freshman year, and this will be his third time competing at the state level. Taylor Mangus joined the team in her sophomore year, and this makes it a clean sweep of making it to the states level each time. Devyn McIvor just joined us this year, and I’m thrilled that she’s done so well in what will end up being her only year as she’s a senior. Delilah Briscoe also did very well by herself in an event that had stronger competition than the other categories. I also love that we tied for second place, given that we only brought four students.  By comparison, the winning team brought 13 people, about a third of the competitors.”

Weyler has coached forensics at Galileo since the year the club was created in 2012.

“It felt great to place first in the Super Regionals,” Percario said. “I enjoyed competing in Original Oratory because its something that I feel I’m strong in and I got to write my own perspective and analysis of certain topics which was interesting.”

Original Oratory is a competition in which the participant writes an original speech on any topic to be presented to a set of judges.

The 2019 season was Briscoe’s first time on the team, competing in impromptu speech, a competition in which the participant must prepare and present a speech on a random topic in seven minutes.

“Competing was fun, I enjoyed seeing other peoples pieces,” Briscoe said. “I placed fourth, and for future competitions I think I’d like to work on not rambling as much and having more of a point to what I say.”

The team will next compete in the  VHSL Forensics State Competition set for March 30 in Midlothian.