Indoor track brings home honors from state tournament

Finishing+strong%2C+Juniors+Savior+Waddell+and+Jackson+Wiles+use+their+last+bit+of+energy+to+give+everything+they+have+during+the+4x400+relay.+With+odds+against+them+as+they+competed+against+larger+schools%2C+Wiles+and+Waddell+strived+for+victory%2C+giving+it+their+all+as+they+carefully+passed+the+baton.+%E2%80%9CIt+was+a+very+intense+situation.+There+was+a+lot+of+adrenaline+pumping.+Jackson+had+the+look+on+his+face+like+he+was+going+to+kill+me+so+I+knew+I+had+to+go+fast.+When+I+took+the+baton+I+just+heard+%E2%80%98GO%E2%80%99+and+I+took+off.+This+is+one+of+my+favorite+races%3B+it+was+really+fun%2C%E2%80%9D+Waddell+said.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Finishing strong, Juniors Savior Waddell and Jackson Wiles use their last bit of energy to give everything they have during the 4x400 relay. With odds against them as they competed against larger schools, Wiles and Waddell strived for victory, giving it their all as they carefully passed the baton. “It was a very intense situation. There was a lot of adrenaline pumping. Jackson had the look on his face like he was going to kill me so I knew I had to go fast. When I took the baton I just heard ‘GO’ and I took off. This is one of my favorite races; it was really fun,” Waddell said.

Contributed

Contributed

Contributed

Autumn Turpin, Editor

The Galileo High School Track Team traveled to Roanoke to compete in the indoor track state championship Feb. 25-26.

“I was absolutely satisfied with the team’s performance,” Head Coach Mark Bryant said. “We had a lot of personal best performances which was great because as far as entering the meet we were only expected to get a medal in one event. We had the opportunity to maybe steal some medals in other events but we didn’t expect to bring home medals in two competitions.”

Bryant coaches both the cross country team and the track team at Galileo, assisted by Math Teacher Vaughn Popeney.

“I enjoyed the competition,” Junior Khyra Smith said. “I feel like my performance could have been better if my nerves hadn’t gotten to me and I had focused on myself and running, but I always have next year to improve upon.”

Smith has been on the Galileo Track and cross country team since coming to the school her sophomore year. Smith placed tenth on the 55 Meter Dash and twelfth in the 300 Meter Dash.

Both the girls and boys placed eighth overall in the 4×400 Meter Relay. The girl’s team consisted of Smith, and Sophomores Morgan Whitley, Christa Zakhary and Caroline Woods while the boy’s team consisted of Juniors Jackson Wiles, Kinkade Huggins and Owen Wood and Senior John Perez.

Wood also competed in the 1000 Meter Run in which he placed fourth.

“I enjoyed running in my competitions, and finishing each knowing I would get a medal, especially in the 1000 Meter Relay since I placed fourth and set a personal record,” Wood said.  “After finishing the 4×800 Meter Relay I was ecstatic to find out we were top 6.”

The team placed fourth in the 4×800 meter replay, with Wood, Huggins,  Senior Jordan Pridgen and Freshman Cole Harbodin making up the team.

Practice for the outdoor track season will start March 4 with the first competition set for March 13 at Bassett High School.