Fellowship of Christian Athletes Club holds first meeting

Back to Article
Back to Article

Seniors Jordan Pridgen and John Perez listen as Club Sponsor Mark Bryant speaks at the first Fellowship of Christian Athletes meeting Jan. 16.

Josh Gaites

Josh Gaites

Josh Gaites

Staff Report

Isaiah 58:11 says, where God guides, He provides, and the student athletes at Galileo Magnet High School have found this testament to be true, with runners gathering together, hand in hand to pray for strength before competition.

It is this strength the runners hope to share with their peers as they adopt a new chapter of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes at Galileo this month.

“It is important for us to take a moment in all of the chaos to breath. It is encouraging as we prepare for a race and God provides,” Junior Angel Lin said. “God is very important part of who I am and I want to share that. I do not want God to just be a Sunday thing. I want to bring myself closer to my religion.”

When Lin heard that the local branch of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes was interested in working with students from Galileo she jumped at the chance to make it happen.

“I have always heard that teaching something, sharing it with others, is the best way to become more familiar with it and I wanted that. I want to be a better Christian and I want to join with others and help us all be closer in our walk with God,” Angel said.

Co-founder of the club, John Perez said he was honored when he was asked to help head the club, something he always aspired to do.

“I am a very spiritual person. I find so much inspiration in my grandmother who is a minister,” Perez said. “I have always had a calling to start a program or be a part of one like this and to be helping head that program is an honor.”

A senior at Galileo, Perez said he hopes the club will grow and welcome new members who are interested in strengthening their relationship with Christ.

Cross Country Coach and Math Teacher at Galileo, Mark Bryant said he hopes club members will be devoted to the club, grow closer to God in their faith, and love each other more than they love themselves.

“As an athlete, my Faith reminds me that I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.  This is valuable when practices get tough or injuries seem to knock you off course. As an athlete, I am also reminded that sports are a wonderful thing to be a part of, but have no eternal value.  Thus, after a bad game or a frustrating performance, I am reminded that there is far greater things to dwell upon, things that have eternal value,” Bryant said. “As a coach, it is difficult to share your beliefs during school related functions, but my team knows how I believe and have come to me on different occasions asking for guidance or prayer for things happening in their lives.  At those times, I know it is “not I, but Christ” that they seek and I am thankful the Lord can work through me to help them during their time of need.”

The Galileo branch or “huddle,” will meet with Director of the Local FCA Branch Robert Hicks at their next meeting Jan. 23 and will continue to meet each Wednesday morning for devotional and discussion time, always welcoming new members to join them.

“I believe the club will bring a voice to the Christians here at Galileo and build a community of believers that will unify and demonstrate the love of Christ to others,” Bryant said. “I pray that FCA will open more doors to have that same relationship with other students that may or may not be participating in athletics as well.”