Seniors set to graduate June 1

Autumn Turpin, Editor

On June 1, at the Institute for Advanced Learning and Research, 62 seniors will graduate from Galileo High School after four long years of hard work.

“I always hate to see seniors leave,” Principal Angela Michelle Ramsey said. “However, this group is special as I taught several of them in eighth and ninth grade and will miss them dearly.”

Of the students graduating, 88 percent are going to college, 4 percent are going into the military, 4 percent are going into the workforce and 1 percent will be going on a mission for their church.

In addition to numerous awards and honors received, 16 seniors are graduating with gold Beta Club cords and two with I.B. diplomas: Colin Henry Stevens, and Braeden Howell.

Stevens is also the valedictorian of the graduation class with Magaly Ruiz earning salutatorian.

“Being salutatorian is such a huge honor because you know that all of your hard work is being recognized by the school, especially when other students congratulate you. It feels amazing to have been able to achieve this recognition,” Ruiz said. “I am a little sad to leave high school because I have been at Galileo since eighth grade, and I’ve created special bonds over the years. However, I’m also really excited to be closing this chapter of my life. I’m looking forward to college.”

Ruiz is planning to major in international business or business administration at Danville Community College.

Speaker for the 2018 commencement exercise will be graduate of the Galileo Magnet High School Class of 2013, Dondré Marable.

“His senior year he won the Gates Scholarship, which is a full ride to an educational institution, and he recently graduated from the college of William and Maryland,” I.B. teacher Kathy Shanks said of her former students. “ He is currently doing research on drug addiction in Maryland, so he’s made quite a few accomplishments in his 23 years.”

With a larger graduating class than ever before, seniors were allowed eight tickets for family and friends with the ceremony set for 7 p.m.

Graduation is a really rewarding time, both for the students and for the parents and teachers,” Student Council Sponsor Leigh Walker said. “We have spent four years pouring our knowledge into these students, molding them into the future leaders we know they can be. Parents have spent most of their lives giving everything to their sons and daughters. All of this culminates on one night where we celebrate this accomplishment. We mark the end of a journey and the beginning of another. Some will go to college, some to the military or mission work and others right to work. No matter what, they will not be back here in August. It’s an emotional time but a proud time as well.”