Student Council holds ‘Together Towards Tomorrow’ event to promote school unity

Isaac Vanderveer

Isaac Vanderveer

Autumn Turpin, Editor

On March 16, the Student Council Association held an event titled ‘Together Towards Tomorrow’ in an effort to promote school unity after the tragic shooting that occured Feb. 14 at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla.

Initially set for March 14 as an alternative to National School WalkOut, club officers had hoped to show that an ‘us versus them’ mentality is not the answer to ending violence, and instead promote empathy, kindness and understanding as a better way to heal. The event was moved to March 16 after inclement weather hampered preparations.

“The Together Towards Tomorrow event was an opportunity for all students and teachers to put aside differences in opinion and politics and to come together and stand against school violence,” Galileo Principal Michelle Ramsey said. “I believe that from our event our students felt motivated. During the event you could feel the unity and the respect we all had for the lives that were lost in the shooting.”

During the event, Student Council President Isaiah Warner, Vice-President Kamryn Smith, and Cub Members Leah Warner, Catherine Carter, Oscar Kemp, John Perez, Kellsey Carter, Lucy Cross and Alaina Berneche read the poem Miss Me but Let Me Go. After the reading Isaiah offered a moment of silence for all victims of violence while Berneche read the names of the 17 victims of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting while balloons with the words “You are loved, You are missed, You are remembered” written on them were released by Junior Madison Webb. The main event lasted for 17 minutes from 10-10:17 am to honor each of the 17 victims.

It took us roughly two weeks to completely plan everything and get the supplies,” Isaiah Warner said. “I was very happy with the outcome of this event because it showed how much people actually cared about the message we were trying to send, which was that we should all unite as a school and stand together as one.”

After the reading students had the chance to have their hand painted in a school color, red or blue, to place on a banner commemorating the event to be hung in the cafeteria.

“Seeing events like the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting seems like a horror movie coming into reality,” Berneche said. “I feel very anxious coming to school and very scared of the possibility that anyone I know could be in a situation where they may experience that. I think the Together Towards Tomorrow event really helped us show that we are standing together not in opposition to each other but as a whole in opposition of violence.”