All hail 3.14

Throwing+his+hands+up+celebrating+his+accomplishment%2C+History+Teacher+Hunter+Nash+feels+a+rush+of+happiness+after+smothering+Junior+Garrett+Campbell+in+whipped+cream.+%E2%80%9CI+liked+being+pied+because+it+brought+the+school+together+but+it+was+a+painful+experience%2C%E2%80%9D+Campbell+said.++
Throwing his hands up celebrating his accomplishment, History Teacher Hunter Nash feels a rush of happiness after smothering Junior Garrett Campbell in whipped cream. “I liked being pied because it brought the school together but it was a painful experience,” Campbell said.

Isaac Vanderveer

Isaac Vanderveer

Luke Garcia, Editor in Chief

Pi Day was March 14, held each year on 3.14 to honor the rich history of the number of the same name.

Planning for the celebration was done by the I.B. Math class which includes Seniors Henry Stevens and Kush Patel as well as Junior Jenita Theodore.  Math Teacher Marcia Dalton teaches the course and said she looks forward to planning the day each year.

“Most Pi Day activities tend to be similar year to year, such as the contest for reciting the most digits of Pi,” Dalton said. “However, things such as the Pi Day riddles were a different twist this year.”

Dalton has been the supervisor for Pi Day planning since 2006.

Building up to the actual day of celebration, posters reminding students of the holiday were hung up around the school.

“We have been planning since the beginning of January,” Patel said.  “This year, we had many discussions and ideas for what we would do. Our class agreed that we would dedicate extra class time for planning the event. We used our free time and hours Mrs. Dalton was not here to make the posters. They were our own idea, and we made all of them by ourselves.”

In addition to posters, the I.B. math class held a fundraiser for the event, having students vote for which student or teacher they wanted to pie. During lunch, students could put money in cups with various student and teacher names to vote for.  Winners were chosen separately between teachers, seniors, juniors, sophomores and freshmen.

“We ended up raising more money than we ever have in our school’s history of Pi Day,” Dalton said. “The students in the I.B. Math class have decided to share the wealth and make a $100 donation to the Danville Science Center.”

During the day of the event, students could compete with each other by seeing who could complete a math worksheet or answer riddles about Pi. Winners received a cookie decorated in icing in the shape of the greek letter pi.

“I most enjoy seeing students doing math with a smile,” Dalton said.  “Math has always been a challenge for me, but I love a challenge. I think math is vital and is not something man invented because it can be found in nature all around us. Without math, our quality of life would be nothing like what we have today. Unfortunately, math gets a bad rap from people who have had a bad experience. On Pi Day I get to see nearly all students having a positive experience with a subject that is vital to life as we know it.

During the competition to see who could memorize the most digits of pi the top three students were recorded, but everyone who memorized at least 15 digits of pi received a cookie as well.

“Vishwa Patel set a school record by reciting 126 memorized digits of pi,” Patel said.  “Meghan Branche came in second with 111 digits, and I came in third with 66 digits.”

At the end of the day, students gathered in the school parking lot and all of the Pie Day planning that had preceded that moment culminated into the final event — the pieing of teachers and students.

“It turned out better than we hoped it would,” Patel said. “We originally planned to pie five people, one teacher and four students, but we made a last minute decision to increase that number to seven.”

After the money raised was totalled and the students from each grade were selected for pieing, teachers were allowed to volunteer to pie the selected students of their choice, which has not been done before.

History Teachers Jared Smith and Hunter Nash pied Kush Patel and Junior Garrett Campbell, Math Teacher Vaughn Popeney pied Sophomore Kinkade Huggins, and finally Spanish Teacher Jennifer Kinnett pied Freshman Jada Pridgen.

When it came to the time that students were allowed to pie the teachers, the students who had memorized the most digits of pi were allowed to choose who they wanted to pie from the three who had won the votes. First place was allowed to choose which teacher to pie first.

“Vishwa Patel chose to pie Mr. Carter, Meghan Branche decided to pie Mrs. Ramsey, and I pied Mr. Wright.” Kush Patel said. “A lot of students had their phones out and Snapchatted the event,” Kush Patel said.  “It was all people were talking about for awhile. Everyone seemed very pleased with how everything turned out.”