Track team takes home state honors

Autumn Turpin, Editor

The Galileo High School Track team traveled to Roanoke College in Salem for the 2018 State Championships on Feb. 21-22.

“I am very happy with the results of state,” Track and Cross Country Coach Mark Bryant said. “Almost everyone ran their personal best times in their respective events and if not they were very close. It feels great to finish with your best effort.”

Senior Talashjah Weathersby won the title of state champion in the 55 meter dash for the second year in a row and also won the 300 meter dash, which she had only been the runner up in last year. In winning the 55 meter dash, Weathersby succeeded in setting the state record.

“I am very happy with my placement at state,” Weathersby said. “I am looking forward to participating in outdoor track and have already started training.”

Weathersby has trained with both George Washington High School Track Coach Robert Marshall and Galileo Track and Cross Country Coach Mark Bryant.

Senior Henry’Stevens placed third in both the 1,000 meter run and the 3,200 meter run.

“The 1,000 meter run was very difficult. The air was very dry and my legs were burning,” Stevens said. “The 3,200 meter run was very slow because I had gotten tired from my other races. I was very far ahead of the other runners, but the front-runners were very far ahead of me.”

The boys 4×800 relay team placed sixth to bring home medals for the team. The 4×800 team is a team of four runners who each run an 800 meter leg in a relay. The runners for the relay at state were Owen Wood, Kinkade Huggins, Jordan Pridgen and Henry Stevens.

“I felt really good in the run I did with the 4×800 team,” Wood said. “I’m pretty happy with my placement, but to improve for next year I plan work hard on building up my endurance and just getting faster.”

Assistant Coach Vaughn Popeny said he is very proud of his students success at the state competition.

“I enjoy seeing improvement of the runners throughout the seasons,” Popeney said. “Since the students are running every day at practice, it’s hard for them to see growth from day to day. However when it comes to actually racing at the meets, they can see the improvements they have made. After running a personal record in any of their events, the joy and excitement they show makes the long days worthwhile.”