Student talks gun control

Luke Garcia, Editor in Chief

I’m sure everyone reading this has access to the Internet, and if you have access to the Internet, you’ve almost definitely heard of the Stoneman Douglas High School Shooting that took place in Parkland, Fla. on Feb. 14. The events that happened in the school are universally agreed to be tragic and, well, almost completely agreed to have been completely preventable. As a student, the preventability and thus means of preventability are on the forefront of my mind and the minds of my peers.

Gun control is a topic that I’ve taken to avoiding for quite awhile. However, recent events have brought gun control and likewise my opinion into the limelight. Keep in mind though, I’m certainly not the most qualified person for the job, but you have to do what you have to do I guess.

Naturally, I’d want school to be safer. So how do we go about this? Many people say that guns should just be illegal to own period. I think that it’s unrealistic to think that confiscating or buying back the guns of everyone in the United States will actually work. Whether or not that it would it reduce homicides regardless, guns are already deeply rooted into American culture. If they weren’t, then we would not have more guns than people in our country, which is the very fascinating but somewhat alarming reality. If the United States were to try to take guns back from the people in any way, shape, or form, would anybody actually comply? There is no doubt that there are many people that have very strong anti-gun control opinions that cause them to be enraged when anybody says an even remotely left statement about the issue. Of course, this is not the majority, but my point still stands; there are quite a few people that will rebel or attempt to rebel should guns be taken away, and they mostly likely have more than enough weaponry to do it.

Taking guns from the public is not an option that can be taken immediately. Sure, you could slowly ease the public into submission, but I think that action against school shooting must be taken quicker than actions were taken with civil rights amendments I propose that schools would be safer if law-abiding and non-mentally ill individuals would carry guns on or near school premise. This raises the question: Who should be the one to carry the guns?

Of course students should not be the ones to carry the guns. That would potentially cause even more shootings. If you are wondering, no, I do not believe that carrying a gun makes you more polite and complacent. However, that’s a topic for another day. So because students are out of the question, the other groups of people that could potentially protect students with guns that first come to mind are police officers and teachers. While teachers are much closer to students and thus can protect them quicker, I think that police officers would be a better choice for two reasons. For starters, police officers have much more experience with handling guns. Second, they are already one of the few groups allowed to carry guns in gun free premises, which include schools, so if they had to be around schools while equipped with guns of sorts, then minimal policies would have to be changed.

So police officers are always out patrolling, right? So say we change some of the police officers’ patrol routes to closer to the school. We certainly can’t afford to reduce the radius of patrol routes just for schools, especially in a place like Danville which has a high crime rate. Furthermore, imagine a city like NYC, which has a lot of high schools and a need for a large police patrol radius. How would they get dozens upon dozens of police officers to stay put at a school or decrease the patrol radius by having them patrol around schools. The solution? Retired police officers.

I’m not saying that retired police officers should leave retirement to work. What I’m saying is that most school guards are retired police officers, including Warren Dallas, our security guard here at Galileo. School guards are of course always patrolling their school, and if they have experience with handling guns, such as experience from a career of being a police officer, then I think they fit the criteria required to be one who handles guns at a school.

Buying back guns or anything related to that would not work. However, having someone protect innocent students from school shooters would definitely help. Having students and teachers carry guns is not a very smart decision, and the former is a decision only a fool would make. The best way to enforce school safety in the area of school shooters is to have experienced school guards carry proper weapons to defend students.