Betas earn state honors at convention

Photo Contributed

Photo Contributed

Autumn Turpin, Editor

The Galileo High School Beta Club celebrated a successful run Feb. 15-16 at the 2018 Virginia State Beta Convention held in Hampton.

Sophomore Kwannya Foster won first place in Spanish Division I, and fellow Sophomore Luke Garcia also placed in academics, earning third place in Math Division I.

“Winning the award made me feel good, I was shocked at first but I was happy that I was able to come out at the top,” Foster said. “I didn’t think I was capable of doing something like this. I am very excited for next year’s convention and I hope to do just as well as I did this time.”

Juniors Leah Warner, Kamryn Smith, Tabatha Watkins and Senior Baylee French won third place in the Spotlight on Service, an event that allows Betas to showcase one service their club completed during the year on a poster board.

“This was my first time participating in Spotlight on Service. My fellow Beta members and I decided to do the annual Powder Puff ‘Orange Out’,” Smith said. “We felt that this service project was most effective and enjoyable.”

Seniors Mark Gibson and Isaiah Warner and Juniors Oscar Kemp and John Perez were awarded second place with their Character Skit, a spin-off of Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol with the ghosts of Beta past, present and future visiting a senior to express their agitation at his lack of dedication to the club.

“Beta Convention this year was hands down the most fun thing I have experienced my whole senior year,” Isaiah Warner, who also received second place in Poetry Division II, said. “I had a great time bonding with my fellow club members and competing in the academic competitions. I am definitely sad that this is my last convention, and I encourage anyone that has never attended the convention to do so if they ever get the chance.”

Senior Henry Stevens placed third in Creative Writing Division II as well as second place in Quiz Bowl with team mates Kush Patel, Layne Larson, William Jones, Jenita Theodore and Sophomore Mary McLaughlin.

“I felt we did amazing in Quiz Bowl,” Jones said of the win. “To improve for next year I think we should start expanding our knowledge into more areas. I can’t wait to see how far we get at the next convention.”

Freshmen Christal Wilson, Anijah Ferrell and Jada Pridgen placed third in the Fresh Look at Beta competition where first-year Betas showcase their club knowledge.

“I really enjoyed my first convention; it was really fun,” Wilson said. “Next year I plan on competing in history since its my favorite subject.”

Art awards went to Seniors Caleb Brinkley, who got first place in Onsite Pencil, and Sarah Hawkins, who got third place in Drawing.

The club as a while was also recognized with a Gold Key award for membership, having grown more than 20 percent since last year’s convention in Williamsburg.

“I was thrilled with how our students performed at convention,” Club Sponsor Leigh Walker said. “While the awards are exciting, they are not indicators of all of our successes. William Jones delivered a very heartfelt speech in Division II, Autumn Turpin worked tirelessly on our piece for Living Literature and Catherine Carter gave an amazing showing with her campaign for Virginia State President. While some did not place in their events, their dedication to excellence is what being a Beta is all about and I am excited for what they will accomplish at next year’s convention.”