Three run in Virginia Commonwealth Games

Danielle Duan, Editor

On Dec. 2 Galileo’s track team sent three of its stand out runners to compete at the Virginia Commonwealth Games in Lynchburg.

Henry Stevens dominated the field to win the 3200 meter run and also finished as the bronze medalist in the 1600 meter run.

Two-time state champion Talasjah Weathersby displayed her strength by placing 4th in both the 55 and 300 meter dash.

“I came in 2nd overall for the 55 meter dash and 4th overall for the 300 meter dash,” Weathersby said. “I was a little upset with the placing I came in because I felt I could do better but I was really excited that I was able to qualify for states in my first race of the season.”

Both Stevens and Weathersby earned automatic bids into the 2018 state championships.

Sophomore Owen Wood narrowly missed an automatic state birth of his own behind personal performances in both the 1000 and 1600 meter runs.

“In the 1000 meter run I came in 1st place in my heat and 12th place overall and in the 1600 meters I came in 16th place overall,” Wood said. “I feel really good about the 1000 meter run but on the 1600 meter I think I could have done better.”

On Dec. 16, Galileo will send their complete boys and girls teams to challenge at the Invitational hosted by Liberty University in Lynchburg.

“We will be sending 12 runners to the next meet,” Assistant Coach Vaughn Popeney said. “Angel Lin, Sydney Stone, Christa Zakhary, Morgan Whitley and Talasjah Weathersby will represent the girls, and Henry Stevens, Owen Wood, Jackson Wiles, Jordan Pridgen, Victor Cano-Barranco, Kinkade Huggins and John Perez to represent the boys.”