Falcons named Dogwood District Champions

Autumn Turpin, Editor

The Galileo Magnet High School Cross Country Team won their first Dogwood District Championship at Frazier Farms in Altavista on Oct. 25.

Reigning Metro Champions paced ahead of Gretna, Altavista, Chatham, Appomattox County, Dan River, and Nelson County High Schools.

Dogwood District Runner of the Year Henry Stevens led the race with a time of 16:56 with his teammate Owen Wood placing fourth with a time of 18:08.

“I’m pretty satisfied with my placement and race time,” Owen Wood said. “I try to enjoy every race as much as possible and just push to do my best and this one was no different.”

The Falcons swooped in to garner four more All-District Medals with William Jones, Jayden LaMothe, Dusten Wood, and Daniel Odongo placing 10, 12, 14, and 15 respectively.

“I got fifth place and ran the race in 19:30 so I’m happy about that,” Dusten Wood said. “The team did great keeping it all together and running as a pack so overall I think we did well.”

The boys team is among the favorites to bring home the Region 1B Championship at Panorama Farms in Charlottesville this week.

On the girls side of the race, the first year runners finished fourth out of the six teams represented.

Freshman Caroline Woods took two spots on the top 10 medal stand with her overall time of 24:08 while teammate Sydney Stone ran a season best time of 26:38 and placed 19th overall.  

Sophomore Ange Lin finished the race with an overall time of 24:46 and placed ninth overall.

“I’m pretty satisfied with my time because I made a new best time which I thought was pretty cool,” Lin said. “I’m a bit nervous for the next race but I’m excited about it as well. I’m motivated in the races by the environment there’s people cheering you on an and encouraging you and we as runners really appreciate that.”

Coach Nancy Schomer said that with each race the girls continue to improve and establish a strong foundation to build upon. The team’s next race will be held Oct. 31.