Men’s team takes All Metro Championship

Autumn Turpin, Editor

Galileo Magnet High School cross country teams went above and beyond by winning the Metro Championship Oct. 18 at Anglers Park.

In the girls race, Caroline Woods and Angel Lin finished in fourth and fifth place respectively to be deemed the All Metro First Team, finishing fourth overall.

“I always want to meet the personal goals that I set for myself and not let anyone down and my team really helps me to push myself to do my best in every race,” Lin said. “I enjoy being on the team, I love the family quality it has and it’s really what makes me want to stay on the team and keep running.”

Sydney Stone also earned a medal as the All Metro third team honoree who finished thirteenth in a great run that was 1:21 less than her career best. Coach Mark Bryant said Stone is now ranked as the second best active freshman, second only to Woods whom is the top ranked female in the Metro area.

The boys championship has been won by Gretna 10 years in a row until last night when the Galileo boys broke their streak. Seven boys placed on the medal stand and nine were in the top 19 finishers, all who finished under 20 minutes.

The boys did great, Henry Stevens ran a picture perfect race to capture first place and Owen Wood ran a great race along with his teammates,” Assistant coachVaughn Popeney said.

Defending champion Stevens topped his previous course record on the 78 man field to be named the Metro Runner of the year. Owen Wood joined Stevens on the all Metro first team with his fifth place finish.

“Encouragement from the coaches is one of the reasons I was able to reach my placement,” Woods said. “The other is that my personal goal was right in front of me the entire time. Next year in Metro I hope for top 3 maybe even to win.”

Second team honors were earned by Jackson Wiles and Jayden Lamothe who finished eighth and ninth place respectively. Metro third team honors were earned by William Jones, Dusten Wood and Daniel Odongo.

“I got eleventh place in the race and I’m happy with it, I did better than last year,” Jones said. “I had a lot of fun in the race, it was one of my best in the season.”

The team shout outs went to Kinkade Huggins who finished his season with a personal best time of 19:53 and to the seniors who ran their last race in the Danville area. The seniors included Henry Stevens, Jayden Lamothe, Daniel Odongo, Shane Tu, and Kyuntya Ingram.

“We will definitely miss our seniors after they leave,” Popeney said. ”All of our seniors are leaders of the team and the younger runners really look up to them. This year especially, our seniors played a major role in the growth of the team. But, while we will miss them, I feel that our runners will pick up right where they left off and new leaders will emerge in no time.”