‘Stellar Seven’ earn top finishes at invitational

Autumn Turpin, Editor

On Saturday the Galileo Magnet High School cross country team competed at the Running With the Wolves Invitational in Forest.

Galileo Freshman Caroline Woods yet again earned her place at the awards stand with her accomplishment of fourteenth place finish overall with fellow freshman, Sydney Stone, getting her best run time of the season which was under the 30 minute marker.   

“I plan to do better in my races and cut down my future run times by pushing myself harder and working on my stride and breathing,” Stone said. “I plan to be on the team next year because I really love the people. I get to be around and watch people and myself get better as the season goes on.”

Sophomore Angel Lin finished with a hope to place 20th overall and nearly captured a medal of her own.  

On the boys side of the race, Sophomore Owen Wood took the lead and guided the Falcons in his second best performance of his career with a time of 18:34. Eleven of the 16 boys ran their second best times of the season.

Coach Mark Bryant said Junior William Jones showed that he is ready to push himself and his teammates into the postseason after he ran his best time of the season on the hilly terrain.

“This year my best race time for the season was 19:34,” Jones said. “I felt really good in the race. They were playing classic rock songs across the course which powered me up and got me through even though I was tired.”

The cross country coaches’ weekly shout out went to Freshman Victor Cano-Barranco who was the sixth Galileo finisher of the day, making his way into the team’s “stellar seven.”

The next race will be Oct. 18 for the Greater Danville Metro cross country championships, which will be held at Anglers Park with the girls starting off at 5 p.m. and the boys at 5:40 p.m.