National Novel Writing Month to kick off Nov. 1

Luke Garcia, Editor in Chief

In November, many students in Galileo’s creative writing club, The Write Stuff, will be participating in an event called National Novel Writing Month, commonly abbreviated as NaNoWriMo, in which they face the challenge of writing a novel in just one month.

“It is my passion to write,” English Teacher Michelle Larking said.  “However, my other roles in life often shout louder and drag me away from my creative pursuits.  NaNoWriMo is the perfect solution for me because it gives me a deadline and insists that I sit down and write every day.”

Michelle Larking has participated in the event in the past and shared it with many others, such as her daughter, Freshman Emma Larking.

“I always really liked to write little stories on my laptop when I was in fifth and fourth grade so I decided I’d try [participating in the event],” Emma Larking said.  “I did not finish my story in time, but I tried.  It was difficult because there’s a lot of pressure, but it was also really fun to get to write for an hour or two hours a day for a reason.  It was challenging, but it was a fun experience.”

Michelle Larking believes that everyone around her can benefit from the participation of NaNoWriMo, which is why she had recommended just that to members of The Write Stuff.

“I knew I needed something like this when I was in high school,” Michelle Larking said. “This program is the perfect chance to finally get around to trying at that first novel. Writing can be a lonely pursuit, but when you can share the process with others, it makes it so much fun.  It is my hope that NaNoWriMo will give those students the support they need to express themselves.”

Due to the task of writing a novel being like no other, Michelle Larking must spend time adequately preparing the club members for the event.

“We’re doing a bunch of workshops, and recently did one based off characters, so she gave us this whole questionnaire,” Freshman Member Emily Ebalo said. “I learned details about my characters that I hadn’t thought [to consider] originally.”

As November approaches, each and every participant must build up both their confidence and the plot of their planned novels.

“So many students doubt their abilities because they are young, but their age has nothing to do with their ability to write great stories,” Michelle Larking said. “Just look at Mary Shelley who published Frankenstein when she was only 19 years old!  I believe we have a lot of great authors with important things to say here at Galileo.  It is my hope that NaNoWriMo will give those students the support they need to express themselves.”