Falcons earn best times at Invitational

Sophomore Jackson Wiles, Junior Heath Wood and Seniors Henry Stevens and Daniel Odongo finish the course at Dan River High School  during their Sept. 27 match.

Sophomore Jackson Wiles, Junior Heath Wood and Seniors Henry Stevens and Daniel Odongo finish the course at Dan River High School during their Sept. 27 match.

Photo Contributed

Photo Contributed

Autumn Turpin, Editor

Galileo’s cross country team competed at the 34th Annual Greensboro Invitational on Saturday against many of the elite cross country programs of North Carolina and won two individual medals for the first time in our school’s history.

Senior Henry Stevens finished fourth overall with a time of 16:07 and once again broke his own school record only a week after achieving his last.

Sophomore Owen Wood closed the gap on Altavista’s top runner and was another Galileo medalist with his personal best time of 17:42 ranking him as the school’s third best runner of all time.  

“It feels really good being third best runner of all time because I never thought I would be that good at cross country,” Wood said. “I want to get my third mile faster that way I can get my time down and reach the title of second best runner of all time.”

Also finishing the race in less than 18:59 seconds were Sophomore Jackson Wiles, Junior Heath Wood and Seniors Daniel Odongo, Jaden Lamothe and Shane Tu who were all crucial in beating the Altavista boys team.

“My best race time prior to the race Saturday was 20:30 at state last year, so it feels great to have beat that time,” Tu said. “I attribute my success to my coaches who encourage me to push my limits and do my best.”

In the ladies competition, five Galileo girls recorded season best times with Freshman Caroline Woods finishing the race 40th overall with a time of 23:30. Woods ran the seventh fastest race in history and received the third fastest freshman time, continuing her pursuit to break the school record.

Additionally Freshmen Christa Zakhary and Sydney Stone and Sophomores Angel Lin and Mary McLaughlin earned their personal best race times. As the girls continue to improve Coach Mark Bryant said they seem to be peaking in time for postseason play beginning Oct. 31.

“My race time Saturday was 27:54 which topped my prior race time by about a minute and forty seconds,” McLaughlin said. “I plan to improve for the next race by just continuing to run, working on my core, and just improving overall.”

The team has achieved a top three ranking in the state and hopes to carry the momentum into next weekend’s big invitational on N.C. State’s home course in Cary, N.C.