Galileo cross country team continues promising season at Dan River

Ashlee Jones, Editor

The Galileo cross country team competed at Dan River High School on Sept. 27 with the girls starting at 5 p.m. and the boys following at 5:40 p.m.

Freshman Caroline Woods continued her strong season of rising through the local ranks by finishing in third place overall. Woods completed the 3.1 mile course with a personal best time of 25:10.

“The coaches had faith that I could, and I’m really proud of myself for doing it,” Woods said. “I can definitely push harder than third because I know I haven’t reached my full potential, but it’s definitely boosting my self esteem and has made me feel a lot better about myself.”

Rookies Junior Angel Lin and Freshman Christa Zakhary also placed within the top 15 finishers and are now ranked among the top 13 cross country girls currently competing in the Danville and Pittsylvania County area.

“It was my first time and I worked really hard so hopefully I’ll continue to place top 15,” Zakhary said. “I definitely plan on trying to move up and if that doesn’t happen I’ll be very sad but I’ll work hard to get better.”

The boys team continued to rise in the ranks with many setting best personal marks. Coach Mark Bryant said Senior Jaden Lamothe had his best race of the year and for the first time was placed among Galileo’s top five boys with his twelfth place finish.

“It felt really good because normally I’m done in the 45th and to actually push forward and get all the way up to 12th place was really refreshing,” Lamothe said. “Coach thinks I can push higher and if I successfully get that then I’ll go for it.”

Sophomore Kinkade Huggins and Freshmen Donwell Odongo and Victor Cano-Barranco all finished within two seconds of each other offering what Bryant said was a glimpse of the future for the boys team.

The teams will be traveling to Greensboro on Saturday with all the members hoping to improve many newly acquired personal best times and to match up with perennial power, Altavista High School