Is college for you?

Ashlee Jones, Editor

College is a time in life where you go away and learn to be on your own. You get the chance to experience new things, meet new people and focus on your future. Now, some of you may ask yourself, Is college the right thing for me? or Is it necessary to even have a college education? I’m here to help.

College is actually a really important time in your life. This is the time to really find what interests you and plan out your future. Without college, I doubt that you’d get far in life unless you become a famous YouTuber or make a living working out of fast food restaurants, which doesn’t always work out for others. A simple college degree can create opportunities for your future.

For example, how do you expect to become a doctor or lawyer without any kind of knowledge or training for that particular profession? You’ll never be able to make it in those professions if you have no idea what you’re doing. With a degree, you have a better chance of entering into a higher-level job compared to someone who just came out of high school. The more education you have the more you know and the more job opportunities you will have. I’m not telling you to go out there and stay in college until you’re old and grey, but you should want to make sure that you go to create a better life for yourself and become successful.

Apart from being able to learn more while you’re in college, getting certain degrees can determine your pay and position when you start applying for jobs. You can get an associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degree. All of these degrees take at least two-to-eight years to obtain. You can attend college for two years and still earn a degree. The higher your degree the more you can get paid in your profession.

Education is always important, and you never know when you might end up using what you learn in life. No matter where you go or what you do, your education will always be a part of you. Don’t stop at high school or just two years of college. Take the initiative and push yourself to go towards a bachelors or masters. Who knows, you could even end up getting a doctorate and become the world’s leading expert on your subject matter. What I’m trying to say is, you can never have too much education. College is very important in this day and time when competition for jobs is fierce. With our young, talented minds, I’m sure we can make something wonderful out of ourselves.