Team earns best times at Martinsville

Freshman Caroline Woods, Sophomore Angel Lin and Freshman Christa Zakhary sprint off the starting line during the Sept. 14 race at Martinsville.

Photo Contributed

Photo Contributed

Autumn Turpin, Editor

The cross country team traveled to the Smith River Complex in Martinsville to compete in an 8-team meet Sept. 14.

The girls’ team ended the night with two members, Angel Lin and Caroline Woods, in the top 15.

“This was the first time I had gotten top 15  since my first race, so it was a pretty proud moment for me and very exciting,” Lin said of her time.

In addition to the two girls in the top 15, Sydney Stone, Mary  McLaughlin and Florencia Albornoz all ran personal best race times. The girls team finished third out of the 8 schools in attendance.

“My run time was 29 minutes and 24 seconds,” McLaughlin said. “It felt great to get my best run time even though the last half mile was brutal and I was cramping up really bad.”

On the boys side, Owen Wood lead the team finishing sixth overall and left the coaches wondering how many more spots he can take by the end of the year as he continues to impress. Wood’s best race time has been 18 minutes and 45 seconds.

“This season has been significantly better than my last and I think that it’s been that way for both the boys and girls teams too,” Wood said. “I was really happy with my placement at the last race even though it was just sixth place, and I hope that I can continue to do well .”

Jackson Wiles had the best race of his career joining the illustrious sub 20 club minute club while Junior Dusten Wood continues to build on last season’s success. As a team, all the boys ran season best times.

The coaches gave shout outs to Wiles and the entire girls team, proud of all each accomplished. The team’s next race will be at Gretna where they hope for more strong finishes and even better times.