College Night brings more than 60 colleges to Danville

Juniors Madison Webb and Ian Brande talk with a representative from Campbell University at College Night  held Sept. 12 at the Institute for Advanced Learning and Research.

Juniors Madison Webb and Ian Brande talk with a representative from Campbell University at College Night held Sept. 12 at the Institute for Advanced Learning and Research.

Isaac Vanderveer

Isaac Vanderveer

Luke Garcia, Editor in Chief

Students from Galileo, Gretna, Tunstall, Dan River, and George Washington high schools gathered Tuesday at the Institute for Advanced Learning and Research to learn about colleges and universities in Virginia and the surrounding states.

“I think it’s a good way to see a bunch of colleges in one setting,” School Counselor Kendra Hatchett said. “ You can pick up a lot of brochures, information, and usually there’s a lot of admission reps to talk to there.”

While a sixth of the senior class has already applied  to at least one college the event offered a chance for all students from Danville and Pittsylvania County to see what each school has to offer and get more information on their top choices.

“I was just looking at colleges that offer my major, or offer a concentration in my major, and the scholarships the colleges offer,” Senior Kush Patel said. “It’s a really good event.  It gave me an idea of where I want to go and it helped a lot with narrowing down my college list.”

A total of 61 colleges visited Danville for the event with some colleges, like Averett, offering a closer to home choice while others were farther away, like Marshall University, located nearly five hours away in Huntington, West Virginia.

Recruitment Coordinator at Marshall Hannah Sayre and many other college representatives provided students with extensive information from housing options and statistics about their campus and alumni, to commemorative prints of their schools, trying to attract students to their schools for a visit.

“Virginia is fairly close to West Virginia, so we’re just trying to gain interest from students,” Sayre said.  “We’d love to have them on campus, so I like to recommend the students to tour the campus, because once students step on the campus they know whether they can see themselves at that college or not.”

Counselors from each of the area high schools encouraged as many students to attend as possible, explaining that it is never to early to start planning for after high school.

Galileo’s counselor said she was pleased with her school’s turnout with students from each grade level stopping by to visit.

“I know not everyone will go to college as college isn’t for everyone, but it’s good to know that some of them are starting to look and see what might interest them,” Hatchett said. “In addition to College Night Galileo will have representatives from different schools come to do presentations and talk with students about what their school has to offer. This allows time for one-on-one conversation and questions that are not as possible in this larger setting.”

Hatchett also encouraged students to check the counseling bulletin board daily for upcoming visits, SAT dates and scholarship opportunities.