Men’s team finishes second at Edmond Park

Danielle Duan and Autumn Turpin, Editors

On Sept. 7 the cross country team competed in a seven team meet at Edmond Park in Halifax with teams ranging from 3A George Washington High School to 6A Franklin County High School.

Shout out for the match from the coaches went to Sophomore Angel Lin for beating her personal best time.

“Setting a personal record on what the coaches say was the hardest course of the year was a really satisfying feeling,” Lin said. “I’ve been working to improve my race time since the last one and I am very excited that I was able to get my time down. I hope to be able to get my time down even more before the next race.”

Freshman Caroline Woods finished the race in ninth place, her third top 10 finish so far this season.

“It feels pretty great to finish top ten because it’s very competitive and is always down to the final wire where it all depends on who has the most energy to run,” Woods said.

Junior Heath Wood finished the race in fourth place, an accomplishment he was pleased with on what runners consider a tough course.

“The placement felt really good, coming in fourth on the hardest course of the year,” Wood said. “So far this season coming in fourth place is the best I’ve done but hopefully I will do better in the races that will come.”

The boys’ team finished the race in second place behind Franklin County with Senior Henry Stevens continuing his undefeated streak.

“Henry is someone who is never satisfied with where he is at; he is always pushing to make himself better and he never lets himself begin to slack. His drive and determination are incredible,”  Assistant Coach Vaughn Popeney said. “Going into the race he knew that he was going to run to win and he had already faced a majority of the other boys in the race so he just ran a smart race to win and didn’t try to run for time.”

The next race will be held Sept. 14 at the Smith River Complex in Martinsville.