Seniors celebrate milestone with annual picnic

Senior Eskini Pyles, Juniors Catherine Carter and Madison Webb and Seniors Talasjah Weathersby, Jacob Patterson and Jaidan Harrell dance to 'Juju on that Beat' during the senior picnic Sept. 8 at Angler's Park.

Isaac Vanderveer

Isaac Vanderveer

Baylee French, Editor

Galileo’s class of 2018 came together Sept. 8 at Anglers Park for the annual senior picnic sponsored by the Student Council Association.

More than 50 members of the class were present at the event which serves as a kick-off for these students’ most memorable year.

“I thought that the senior picnic was fun because I got to hang out with my friends and talk to other seniors that I don’t normally talk with,” Senior Jamya King said.

Food served at the picnic included hot dogs and hamburgers, chips, drinks and a cake that was inscribed with ‘Class of 2018.’

“My favorite part about the picnic was the food because it was really good and I was super hungry,” Senior Talasjah Weathersby said. “I also brought a speaker and connected my phone to the Bluetooth so I played a lot of music and it was really fun.”

Members of the Student Council Association leadership team came out to help set up for the event as well as serve the seniors when it was time to eat.

“This was my first time helping out a senior picnic and it made me really excited for my own,” Junior Leah Warner said. “I felt a lot of mixed emotions when I was there such as being sad but also very happy and lit.”

Several teachers and other staff members stopped by to help the students celebrate the beginning of their last year with School Counselor Kendra Hatchett participating for the first time. 

“My favorite part was seeing them enjoying each other’s company, singing, dancing, tossing football, playing soccer, throwing water balloons, just Goofing off and having fun outside of the school environment,” Hatchett said. “It’s important that they know we are there to support them throughout the year, that we want to celebrate this milestone with them and look forward to watching them walk across the stage in the spring. It’s nice for them to see us outside of our teacher and counselor roles and know we are here for them.”

After the food was served, a secret stash of water balloons was brought out as the seniors fought one on one in a competitive battle.

“The first thing I thought was ‘I hope I don’t get hit by one’, but unfortunately I did,” Senior Jaidan Harrell said. “I ended up getting hit several times by CJ and Jaden, but I was able to get them all back including my other friends Gray and DeAndre. I thought it was a good thing for everyone to be able to relax, have fun, and do our thing and forget about school for a few hours.”