New club celebrates ‘The Write Stuff’

Danielle Duan, Editor

Last Friday the new creative writing club had its first meeting, encouraging all young writers to come together to share their passion for prose.

“The name of our club is The Write Stuff,” Club Sponsor Michelle Larking said. “The core group of students who are working to get this club off the ground are the ones who came up with the clever name. They have a true love of puns.”

The club will meet every Friday until November when they will begin meeting more often.

“At our club meetings we will do a lot of different things such as share and offer feedback on our writing, have mini workshops on things like character  and plot development, play creative writing games, collect and share our favorite words, etc.,” Larking said. “We will also have a few events such as a poetry slam and an author’s event.”

The group is planning to host a poetry slam at Me’s Burgers located downtown because the restaurant is literary-themed.

“A poetry slam is a competition, but I think in our case it’s just a show where we get to share our personal works. It’s a great opportunity for us to share our poems and stories with others,” one of the club’s founders, Emily Ebalo said.

Sophomore Luke Garcia and Freshmen Emily Larking and Lucy Cross are the club’s additional founders.

“One of the most exciting undertakings some of us will participate in is NaNoWriMo or National Novel Writing Month. NaNoWriMo is a national event held in November in which participants accept a challenge to write an entire novel in only thirty days,” Larking explained.

In order to accomplish writing a novel, each participant will strive to write 1, 667 words a day and will end the month with a 50,000 word completed novel.  After November, students will edit and polish their novels and then learn about how to submit their work to publishing companies.

“I personally wanted to start the creative writing club because I love writing. Writing has been somewhat of a therapeutic thing for myself,” said Ebalo said. “I also wanted to meet other people who were also interested in writing and felt the same way.”

Students interested in joining the club can sign the interest sheet on Larking’s door and listen to the announcements for the next meeting date.