Cross Country celebrates fourth season at Galileo

Luke Garcia, Staff Writer

The Galileo Cross Country team is celebrating its fourth season, and with each year, the team has improved their physical capabilities and pushed themselves to the limit.

“I like running because I feel like I’m pushing my limit, and I have fun doing it.  There’s something called a runner’s high, and it hurts a lot, but sometimes you get a sense that you can do anything,” Cross Country Team member William Jones said.  “I enjoy being on the team.  I think it helps me, because I get competitive with them, and if I run by myself, I’d rather just walk or do something else, but they push me to do better.”

Coach Mark Bryant has the team undergo lots of training, such as core exercises to strengthen abdominal muscles, interval training to increase threshold tolerance, and distance training to increase endurance.  The team also focuses on controlling diet and improving technique.  All of these are designed to improve how the team does in this year’s races.

“Our most important races are coming up at the end of October and in November. Those are our post-season races and championship races.  We have some fun ones coming up, like some Saturday runs. Greensboro race is October 1st, and Running with the Wolves is up in the forest, and that is October 15,” Bryant said.

Cross country has been coached by Bryant for four seasons. Bryant has had experience running, because he competed in cross country in both high school and college.

“I started cross country at Galileo.  The idea came from Mr. Lancaster. He wanted another sport in the fall, and he approached me, and a fellow teacher, Nora Wynes, who was here at the time about coaching the boys and the girls, and I’ve coached it ever since,” Bryant said.  “I enjoy coaching them. It’s nice being able to share something I enjoy doing with some of the students, and seeing their same joy and their same success.”