Cross Country starts season strong

Members of the girl's cross country team Paityn Arnn, Madison Webb, A'Lanah Allgood, Talasjah Weatherby, Kamryn Smith, and Alexis Escalante finished their race at the jamboree fourth out of the seven teams that participated.

Hannah Breen

Hannah Breen

Alexis Escalante, Staff Writer

The Galileo Cross Country team started out strong when they competed in their annual jamboree Aug. 24 and their race at Appomattox on Aug. 31.

The girls team came in fourth at the jamboree race and second in the race held at Appomattox.

“I am happy with both of the places that the team finished in both races, but I know we can do better,” Captain Paityn Arnn said, “We are aiming to make state as a team this year and I know we can do it.”

Captain Madison Webb finished second at the jamboree with Sophomore Quindarra Emerson finishing 19th out of 54 girls in the race.

“I am happy with the place I came in but I really was aiming for first place,” Webb said. “My time when I ended last year’s season was 22:22 and in this last race my time was 25:30. I run better when it is cooler and at this last race it was really hot so hopefully by the end of the season I will be back to my 22:22 race time. ”

Webb won the race at Appomattox with a time of 24 minutes and 44 seconds while Arnn finished seventh out of 40 girl with a time of 27 minutes and 50 seconds.

“I am disappointed with my place and time because it was slower than my normal time,” Arnn said. “My goal for this season is to make state as individual and improve my time.”

Captain of the Boy’s Team Henry Stevens came in second out of 86 boys with a time of 18 minutes and 16 seconds at the jamboree.

“I am happy with my time and place but I was aiming to win the race, the boys team is doing good so far but there is still some work to do,” Stevens said. “I am hoping we make it to state as a team this year.”

The boys team started the season with a bang, finishing third out of seven schools in all at the jamboree. The team continued the season with a fourth place will out of five at Appomattox.

“My goal for this season is to win the state championship on the boys side and to have 10 guys go under 20 minutes,” Coach of the Boy’s Team Mark Bryant said. “There are a lot of new runners this year on the team that have added to the competitiveness of Galileo Cross country thus were anticipating some higher achievements than ever this year.”