Bianchi recognized for work at Robotics tournament

Logan Artis, Staff Writer

Galileo Magnet High School Freshman Sandro Bianchi stood out tremendously in the first Danville Public Schools Robotics Match on March 12.

Team Talon 1598 traveled to Blacksburg to compete in the Southwest District Event along with 32 teams March 11.  According to Daniel Waters, the team arrived early along with The Stags 1262 from PGSMST to help with setup of the field and pits for the event.  The team worked very hard until 10 p.m. in preparation for the event on Saturday and Sunday.

Waters said the team started off to a slow start in qualifying but in the alliance selections the team were the 8th pick overall and they were picked by the eighth place qualifier. The robotics team faced the No. 1 seed and lost two close matches in the quarter finals.

“The experience was fun and educational.  It was interesting meeting new people from different schools. The trip was sometimes tiring, but if there is a will there is a way,” Bianchi said. “Robotics is educational; it is the type of career I want to pursue in life. You do not need to enjoy engineering but, enjoy knowing how to solve problems. Robotics is a great way to learn new things.”

Waters, encouraged Bianchi to help volunteer for the organization though Bianchi already knew he wanted to pursue robotics.  He was given the job as ‘Fabulous Floater’ and did around 10 different jobs on Saturday. He was also recognized as one of the top volunteers and received a ‘Chivalry’ badge then promoted to field reset on Sunday.

“It feels awesome putting your hard work out there for people to see it in a different perspective,” Bianchi said. “When I was in elementary school, I was a part of the first Lego League, a program where you build Lego robots that solve tasks. I always enjoyed building items when I was younger.”

Despite having one student from Galileo attend the trip, Bianchi represented the school well earned a lot of respect from the faculty and students.

“I was really impressed with the effort he showed, he didn’t wait to be asked like how most do,” Galileo Principal Jay Lancaster said. “Instead, he went around volunteering his time and making himself useful. He was noticed by the one of the top volunteers. We are proud of his accomplishments and the accomplishments of the team as a whole.”

The DPS Robotics team will travel to Richmond for their next competition on March 24.

“I am really excited for the next competition, hopefully I will get farther in the competition and also will be volunteering again for field reseter,” Bianchi said.