Galileo students earn awards at Fine Arts Night

Logan Artis, Staff Writer

Galileo Magnet High School students participated in the Danville Public Schools Fine Arts Night on April 14 at George Washington High School.

The show offered displays of art work by elementary, middle, and high school students. Judges picked first, second and third place for the following categories: pen and ink, mixed media, pastels, acrylic painting, and printmaking.

The event also boasted fun activities for those in attendance including: face painting, a selfie booth, make and take crafts, and a live potter’s wheel experience.

“I enjoyed seeing others art work even though I didn’t win and playing around in the selfie booth with friends,” Sophomore Art Student Taylor Herring said.

Students recognized at the show included Sarah Hawkins who won first place for pen and ink and third place for acrylic painting, Josh Francisco who won second place for pen and ink, Savannah Combs who won third for pen and ink, Paityn Arnn who won third for mixed media, and August Christensen who won second in pastels.

“Winning for pen and ink was nice considering I have won with other art pieces in the past,” Combs said.

Hawkins was also thrilled with her first place win, a dedicated art student planning to major in the subject after graduation.

“I feel accomplished that I won first place,” Hawkins said. “I am glad Mrs. Murphy is here because we haven’t had art in a long time and I enjoy her class.”

First year teacher Ashley Murphy said she was proud to be a part of the show and happy with her students’ showings.

“It felt like it was my own art work, I was super proud of my art babies,” Murphy said. “It was nice seeing other art teachers that have taught my students in the past and hearing about how great they were in their class.”

Galileo students who featured work in the show will have their pieces displayed in Galileo’s Research Center until May.