Galileo Betas travel to convention Feb. 12

Galileo+Beta+Club+members+traveled+to+the+Virginia+State+Beta+Convention+on+Feb.+12%2C+receiving+seven+awards+including+a+Beta+Key+Award+for+club+growth.+In+the+art+competition%2C+second+place+award+went+to+Nick+Matherly+in+the+sculpture+category.+In+the+academic+test+portion+of+competition%2C+a+third+place+win+went+to+Caleb+Koch+for+math%2C+third+place+to+Gabriela+Blair+for+Spanish%2C+a+first+place+win+went+to+Eddie+Fitzgerald+for+French%2C+and+a+second+place+win+went+to+Josh+Buckley+for+English.+Members+Hannah+Breen%2C+Kara+Oaks%2C+Eden+Gibson%2C+Michelle+Holt%2C+Alex+Reddy%2C+and+Paityn+Arnn+were+also+winners%2C+awarded+third+place+for+their+performance+of+a+character+skit+written+by+Abby+Schleifer.+
Galileo Beta Club members traveled to the Virginia State Beta Convention on Feb. 12, receiving seven awards including a Beta Key Award for club growth. In the art competition, second place award went to Nick Matherly in the sculpture category. In the academic test portion of competition, a third place win went to Caleb Koch for math, third place to Gabriela Blair for Spanish, a first place win went to Eddie Fitzgerald for French, and a second place win went to Josh Buckley for English. Members Hannah Breen, Kara Oaks, Eden Gibson, Michelle Holt, Alex Reddy, and Paityn Arnn were also winners, awarded third place for their performance of a character skit written by Abby Schleifer.

Alexis Escalante, Staff Writer

Galileo Beta Club members traveled to the Virginia State Beta Convention on Feb. 12 in Williamsburg to face off against other high schools in various areas including academic tests, an art competition and talent showcase.

Members acquired several awards including the club as a whole that received the Beta Key Award for club growth.

“I was absolutely excited for Beta Convention, especially because this year I served as State Beta Club President,” Galileo Beta Club President Alex Reddy said. “It was a very nerve racking experience, but it made me more comfortable in front of so many people.”

Serving a State President Reddy called the meeting to order, gave an address to gathered schools and also swore in the next state president, Jalil Johnson.

While Reddy said she was sad to see her term come to an end she said she is excited to see what is in store in the future for the club, certain of the roles the new officers will play in what is to come.

“Meeting fellow state officers in different locations has been amazing because I have developed wonderful friendships,” Reddy said. “It was definitely a humbling experience, I felt very at home on stage surrounded by Betas.”

Joining Reddy in her excitement for what is to come were 11 of her fellow members as each won an award that garnered them an invitation to compete at the National Beta Convention in New Orleans in June.

In the art competition, second place award went to Nick Matherly in the sculpture category. In the academic test portion of competition, a third place win went to Caleb Koch for math, third place to Gabriela Blair for Spanish, a first place win went to Eddie Fitzgerald for French, and a second place win went to Josh Buckley for English.

“At first I was kind of disappointed because last year I won first place but after thinking about it I am just really thankful that I won something for the school,” Blair said. “I did not really prepare for it because I really did not see a need for it is basically what you know already. I hope next year we can bring home some more winners.”

Members Hannah Breen, Kara Oaks, Eden Gibson, Michelle Holt, Alex Reddy, and Paityn Arnn were also winners, awarded third place for their performance of a character skit written by Abby Schleifer about the history of Beta and the leaders who have been a part of that history including Bill Clinton, Millard Fuller of Habitat for Humanity, and Diana Sawyer.

“I won third place for the skit and I was really happy about it and proud of everyone who participated in it. It is my senior year and I am glad that I get to move on and I am sort of proud of all the work I put into it,” Schleifer said. “It was hard getting ready for it because we had like a week or two before and practiced every single week day we had. Sadly I did not get to watch it, I was participating in the preliminary rounds for quiz bowl, but everyone was ready and had everything down so I know it went well.”

Beta Club Sponsor Leigh Walker said she was very pleased with how convention went as a whole, initially a little nervous with it being held in a new venue and different time of year.

“It is usually held in Richmond in March but this year it was set for Williamsburg in February so not only did we not know what to expect weather wise we were also unfamiliar about the stage for talent, location for academic tests, and where items like our banner and scrapbook would be taken, but overall the new location was refreshing and we found our way around,” Walker said. “I am so proud of how our members conducted themselves, first place win or no win at all, each one acted in a professional manner and I thank them for that. I am especially proud, and I know Mr. Mill and Mr. Lancaster are too, of Alex, our president and the Virginia state president. You could not ask for a better leader. We have been lucky to have her and wish her luck next year in college.”

While the club as a whole in unsure as to whether or not they will be able to make the trip to New Orleans Morial Convention Center for Nationals on June 23-26, each member is already looking forward to next year’s state convention, looking forward the competition and fellowship.

“We always have a great time and we get new ideas for the next year each year,” Walker said. “Our scrapbook gets better every year, we have another year to put together another talent to share, that’s what we love about Beta, there is something for everyone to get involved in.”