Galileo runners break record times

Karen Delgado, Staff Writer

The Galileo Cross Country Team attended the Virginia High School League State Championship Nov.14 at Great Meadows where the Galilean runners gave their best times this season thus far.

“The team’s accomplishments were very admirable this season, and even though we had a tough day following a travel nightmare at the conference championship, five boys and three girls still qualified for the regional championship” Cross Country Coach Mark Bryant said.

According to Bryant the five qualifying boys can not compete as a team because Galileo qualified for the regional championship as individuals.

“The computer scoring software still scored Galileo as a team and Galileo finished the race in 6th place which would have qualified Galileo for the state championship as a team, and this was very impressive considering two senior runners did not compete in the regional championship,” Bryant continued.”

Freshman Madison Webb finished 35th, out of 94 girls, with a time of 22 minutes and 22 seconds, which shattered the female school record of  23 minutes and 29 seconds she previously set earlier in the season at Altavista’s Frasier Farms.

“I think I did pretty good because I set a personal record to place in the thirties, and I did so I feel good about that because I met my goal,” said Webb. “I will continue to run on my own time and may even try out for the soccer team.”

Following Webb’s record breaking performance was Junior Angelo Lamothe, running the ninth fastest time in school history to finish 19th overall and just 9 seconds out of medal contention. Sophomore Henry Stevens led two-thirds of the race before finishing 5th, out of 104 boys, with a time of 16 minutes and 47 seconds, which broke the former school record of 17 minutes and 11 seconds and earned him first team all-state honors.

“My goal was to go under 17 minutes and place 5th which I did so I feel good about that,”  Stevens said “But I feel like there is more time to take off and my feelings right now are like they were at state last year and it is pretty exciting.”

The VSHL State Championship is not an automatic qualifier to nationals, so Stevens and Lamothe have registered to compete in a national regional race hosted by Footlocker on Nov. 28.