Senior Picnic called ‘The Best Ever’

More than 50 seniors joined faculty and staff members at the annual Senior Picnic held Sept. 2

Senior Autumn O'Neal gets hit int he back by Senior John Brady while trying to her sister, Janie, with a balloon during the Senior Picnic held Sept. 2 at Anglers Park.

Hannah Breen

Hannah Breen

Contributing Writer

Messy doesn’t even begin to describe the Class of 2016’s Senior Picnic held Sept. 2 at Anglers Park.

With more than 50 members of the senior class in attendance the event was action-packed from the pie-eating contest to the dunking booth and an impromptu water bottle fight that left even faculty members drenched.

“We hold the picnic at the beginning of first semester each year but I can honestly say that this year’s was one of the best we have had,” Student Council Advisor Leigh Walker said. “The senior class came out to have fun and have fun they did. I don’t think a single person left 100 percent dry.”

Seniors David Wingfield, Aleah Barksdale, John Brady, and Janie O’Neal signed up to try their hand at beating History Teacher Jared Smith in finishing the most pie in three minutes.

Science Teacher Jason Gibson counted down the time as the five chowed down on the “variety pie” which consisted of peach, cherry, apple, and blueberry pastry.

“All I could think about was, ‘this is the worst pie ever’,” Wingfield said of the challenge. “I was surprised by how much I was able to eat. It was a really big pie.”

Senior John Brady said he still can not see pie without thinking of the contest.

“I only ate the blueberry and the peach parts of the pie because they tasted so good together,” Brady said. “That was the only combination that worked for me. It was really tough.”

Wingfield said that while the pie eating contest was the most memorable part of the picnic (he won!) his favorite part was the water fight between the students.

“I got really wet. I think it was more of a revenge thing by the students,” Wingfield said laughing.

From water bottles to water balloons and even buckets of water stolen from the dunking booth, seniors soaked each other and even their teachers.

“I was running for my life and being bombarded by all of my friends,” Autumn O’Neal said. “I also enjoyed seeing Mr. Gibson getting dunked because he smack-talks intelligently which drives me crazy.”

In addition to Gibson, Science Teacher Thomas Goodman, History Teacher Devon Wall, and Principal Jay Lancaster each took a turn in the booth with seniors paying $1 for three throws at the target.

“My sister, Janie, dunked Gibson three times. She was a gangster,” O’Neal said. “She did a sneak move; it wasn’t even her turn but she hit the target. She tried to dunk Lancaster but she didn’t get him.”

During the festivities students enjoyed cheeseburgers, hot dogs, chip, and drinks with a cake honoring the senior class cut at the end of the event.

“How can you eat cake after a pie-eating contest,” Wingfield said laughing.

“I actually got a piece,” Brady said laughing. “I ate it. So good.”