Movie Review: The Maze Runner

Courtesy of IMDB.com

Courtesy of IMDB.com

Courtesy of IMDB.com

Courtesy of IMDB.com

Kassidy Ingram, Columnist

From the very beginning of the movie The Maze Runner, I was on the edge of my seat. The film opens with the main character, Thomas, waking up in an elevator with no memory of how he got there or where he is going. He then meets several other young boys that claim to have gone through the same thing that he did, and they are now forced to live in a large field, which they call ‘The Glade,’ which is surrounded by large gray walls; otherwise known as, ‘The Maze.’ Thomas is told that he is forbidden to go past the walls because it is dangerous, but this only rouses his curiosity even more so, which provokes him to try and learn more about who put them there and why.

This movie is based off of the first book of the best-selling trilogy by James Dashner. The story is set in a post-apocalyptic world in the near-future. It was released October 6, 2009 and has since been a big hit among young-adults in the US. The first novel, The Maze Runner, produced two sequels: The Scorch Trials (2010) and The Death Cure (2011), which are both set to be adapted into films as well; starting with The Scorch Trials which has been said to be released September 18, 2015. A prequel to The Maze Runner, The Kill Order, came out in 2012. Dashner also announced that another prequel, The Fever Code, is set to be released in 2016.

Before going to this movie, I had heard of the book off of which it is based, but I had never read it myself. Everyone that I had asked about it, though, said that it was very good, so I was excited to see the movie. I honestly did not know what to expect when going to see this film, other than it being about a maze. However, the movie completely surpassed my expectations. It was full of suspense, mystery, action, comedy, and a bit of tears, in my case. The film ends in a huge cliff-hanger, however, which was very frustrating but also left me very excited for the next film to come out next year.

Not only was the story itself very well executed in the film, the casting could not have been better. Of course, those who have read the books may have a different opinion on this. As someone who was introduced to the characters for the first time when seeing this movie I was very pleased with the actors’ portrayals of these complex characters. The protagonist, Thomas, was played by Dylan O’Brien – mostly known for his role as Stiles in Teen Wolf. He did an excellent job from the very beginning of the movie until the very end. He was able to portray the complex emotions of the character beautifully, which I thought was very commendable, seeing as that is very hard for a screen actor to do accurately.

Rating: B

I think the movie was very entertaining. The majority of the actors did a great job, the special effects were somewhat noticeable in some scenes – but for the amount that is needed for this type of movie, they were very believable, and the script was fairly well-written – although the movie is a bit fast paced. Overall, I loved the movie and it has convinced me to read all of the books as soon as possible.