Forensics Team members to compete at the state level

Logan Artis, Staff Writer

Two members of Galileo Magnet High School’s Forensics Team will be advancing to the next level of competition April 2 at Midlothian High School near Richmond.

Students Junior Raphael Bianchi and Freshmen Trevor Percario both qualified for state competition and both will be competing in the original oratory category with their original written speeches timed at a limit of ten minutes.

At the regional competition Bianchi placed second and Percario placed third. Bianchi has been on the team for three years and while this is Percario’s first year.

“It’s interesting; it teaches me how people think about other people as how they act,” Percario said. “Being on the team I have learned how to use body language in my speeches. It is great being on the team that all gets along.”

Sponsor of the Forensics Team Glenn Weyler is very proud of the two students for their hard work and compassion on the team and also in the classroom commenting that having both students competing in the same category makes it easy for them to both prepare for the match.

“I got to judge the competition last year, so I have a good view of what the judges are looking for,” Weyler said. “I’m happy they are both in the same category to help them prepare and practice their speeches.”

The students are both excited to come back and compete with other students from different high schools in the original oratory category, the second time Bianchi has performed in this category.

“My last year’s speech was about stereotypes and how they hurt us as a society. This year my speech is about the environment and how we negatively affect our planet,” Bianchi said.

First year member Percario’s  speech debates whether not God exist and questions the ideas of his living.