Class registration begins for 2016-2017 school year

Caleb Brinkley, Staff Writer

Each year at Galileo Magnet High School, students must choose and register for classes that they will take the following year.

Galileo Guidance Counselor Ariel Winston is in charge of ensuring that all students have a schedule that puts them on track for graduation.

At Galileo, class registration forms are handed out near the end of January for students to complete.  The forms are then typically handed back to Winston from the students at the beginning of February.  If possible, students are placed in the classes that they requested, but if a student did not turn in their form, they are put into a randomly selected class.

“I figure out how many sections of each class that we need, and I at least try to make it show how many classes we can offer next year just on how many students are interested in the certain class,” Winston said.

Students receive their schedules between the end of July and the beginning of August after changes have been made over the summer.

“The biggest complications are the people who don’t turn in their registration forms because they get their classes selected for them, and they may get a class that they might not necessarily want to take,” said Winston.

As a result, students who want to switch to another class may not be able to because there are no open slots left in that class period, or there is not another class available for them to switch to and still be on course for graduation.  Winston said that occasionally, a student may be interested in classes that start at concurrent times, but is only able to take one.

Despite Galileo receiving many new students, Winston said that it was not a problem finding classes for them to take.

“It’s not a problem now, but it’s usually a problem after we get started because you have to figure out where to put them and that they have the right classes, especially if somebody comes in later in the next school year, it can be hard to find a place to put them.   It’s mainly just making sure that everyone has the classes that they need to graduate,” Winston said.

Galileo offered several new classes on the registration form for next year, including AP Chemistry, AP Macro-Economics, and Comparative Religion.