Spirit Night raises more than $460 for school events

Galileo and Wendy's made a valiant team Sept. 16 as the two worked together to promote Falcon school spirit

Senior Nia Fowler takes a selfie with the Falcon while Freshman Trinity Green looks on Sept. 16 during Spirit Night at Wendy's on Riverside Drive.

Owen Lane

Owen Lane

Catherine Carter, Staff Writer

The Student Council Association held its annual Spirit Night at Wendy’s on Riverside Drive on Sept. 16 where the group raised more than $400 for upcoming events and projects.

“Spirit Night is a big deal for us because it allows us to put Galileo out there in the community and show people what we are all about,” Student Council Advisor Leigh Walker said. “We have such a good time hanging out and meeting everyone that comes in. We rarely get time to just spend time with our fellow faculty members and our students outside of school so this is a great opportunity.”

While Spirit Night is a Student Council event the whole school takes part with Beta Club, Leadership Team and other groups joining the Student Council Officers to greet patrons and promote school spirit.

“We wanted to make sure everyone got a chance to represent their club and share their accomplishments and events with the community so there were so any different school leaders in attendance,” Walker said. “I think it says a lot about our students that they are willing to drop what they are doing outside of school and come out to just converse with community members. Are students put Galileo first and that is a great feeling.”

With participation in Spirit Night increasing each year the school keeps the restaurant hopping from 5-8 p.m., with one of the managers joking that eventually they won’t be able to hold all of the school spirit.

“I thought Spirit Night was a huge success. We got great support from our students and great support from our Superintendent and Central Office,” Leadership Team President Reggie Jeffries said. “The purpose of Spirit Night is to ignite the fire of school spirit and to show the connection between the school and the community and I think we did just that. The Wendy’s staff was pleased with our turnout and asked us to do it again soon.”

While Galileo’s Spirit Night events have been held at CiCi’s Pizza and Chick-fil-a as well, the council voted to hold it at Wendy’s the 2015-2016 school year after record attendance at the restaurant last September.

“We raised more than $300 last year so our goal was to surpass that and with more than $400 raised their year we really were able to beat our goal,” Walker said. “The money we raised at Spirit Night helps pay for events the council holds for students throughout the year like our Powder Puff Football game in October that benefits the Danville Cancer Association and the Autumn Masquerade Ball in November.”

The council would like the thank everyone who came out to make the event a success. From parents and students to administrator and teachers, everyone helped make the night memorable.

“My favorite part of the night was seeing the students come in excited to socialize and support the school, not just financially but with their positive attitudes,” Beta Club President Alex Reddy said. “These events we plan throughout the year make students excited about coming to school and they, in turn, try to represent Galileo positively. I hope our students will continue to show their school pride, not just at Spirit Night but for the rest of the year.”