Galileo soccer team prepares for the season

Kadejasha Hodnett, Staff Writer

The Galileo soccer team will begin the 2014 season April 23 with a home game against Chatham. The practice is going well, according to the players and coaches. The team scrimmages weekly and practices for 2 and a half hours Monday through Friday.

“My core players are leaders for the team. They contain good skills and often demonstrate for the younger players,” Coach Jared Smith said.

The team’s core players consist of: Seniors Angel Alvarez and Antonio Hernandez; Juniors Erick Eusebio, Ranzie Barksdale, and David Kinder; and Sophomores Kaleb Koch, Robert Young, and Cory Watkins.

“I kept some students simply because it was tryouts. They tried out, and Coach Nash and I based the team members on their skill, speed, and commitment,” Smith said.

When tryouts began, there were 25 candidates for the team. After the tryouts were complete, 18 students were named team members. Smith and Nash chose students from all different grades so younger students could progress in the future.

“We are still working on our skills, but we are ready. We have to drill, drill, and drill some more and run, run, run and run some more until I am positive we are ready.” Smith said.

Galileo will have to change the uniform colors this year due to state rules. At home games the students will have to wear white jerseys and blue shorts, and at away games students will wear blue jerseys and blue shorts.

Smith said, “I do not like the new state rules because it puts us at a disadvantage. Nash and I had to scramble to find white jerseys for the team.”

Team members from previous years remained on the team after tryouts, while other new members were added. Eight students from last year are on the team, and ten new were added. The experience of the past players puts the team at a great advantage as they hone their skills even more.

“What makes this year better than the last is the increasing experience, hard working players, more serious core group, and the dedicated team that is growing,” Smith said.

Smith, as well as the soccer players, is very happy. Senior Antonio Hernandez shared his thoughts about playing soccer.

“I do not feel pain as much as others, and I get violent on the field easily,” Hernandez said. “I’ve been known to get excited and spin around a lot with the ball and become unpredictable.”

The coaches and team look forward to the upcoming season and hope that it is a successful one.

“I am proud of the team for their work and dedication, and I look forward to the season. I am also glad we have coach Nash he is an asset to our team.” Smith added.