Faculty/student basketball game yields faculty win

Faculty members battled two student teams Feb. 26 and came out on top 25-7 and 20-17

Seven+faculty+members+faced+off+against+two+student+teams+of+11+students+each+in+the+first+annual+Faculty%2FStudent+Basketball+Game+held+Feb.+26+in+the+Langston+Focus+School+gym.+
Seven faculty members faced off against two student teams of 11 students each in the first annual Faculty/Student Basketball Game held Feb. 26 in the Langston Focus School gym.

Katie O'Daniel

Katie O'Daniel

Lauren Broadnax, Staff Writer

The Student Council Association hosted their first annual Faculty/Student Basketball Game in the Langston gym Feb. 26 where eight faculty and staff members faced off against 21 students in two separate match-ups.

Students paid $2 to play in the games and were organized into teams by Event Captains Chris Pritchett and Skyler Tuggle.

“Planning for the game was a group effort; there were a lot of people who really wanted to do it and it seemed like fun,” Pritchett said. “I thought it was a pretty good game. It was a fair match between both student teams and the teachers and staff surprised us how well they played.”

Team No. 1 consisted of Pritchett, Freshman Jermal Stephens, Sophomore  Javontae Kirby, Sophomore Reggie Jefferies, Freshman Daisha Petty, Freshman Alexis Escalante, Freshman Aryanna Poteat, Senior Aaron Thomas, Sophomore Chris Kepley, and Senior Jesse Saunders.

Team No. 2 consisted of Tuggle, Junior Deryck King, Sophomore Aaron Ferguson, Sophomore Jermaine Davis, Junior DeAaron McNeal, Senior John Flynn, Freshman Kori Guy, Senior Ivan Hernandez, Freshman Quentin Terry, and Freshman Ariel Lee.

The faculty/staff team consisted of Captain and Principal Jay Lancaster, P.E. Teacher Nancy Rook, History Teachers Jared Smith and Hunter Nash, Math Teacher Mark Bryant, Science Teachers Jason Gibson and Thomas Goodman, and Technology Support Specialist Ryan McLaughlin.

“I thought it was going to be very fun and exciting. I wanted to play because basketball is my favorite sport,” Sophomore Reggie Jefferies said.”If we had played longer, we could have called time-out and set up a play and beat them. For next year the students will practice before the game and plan a strategy to really win.” 

During half-time students tried their luck at making 3-point shots. Taking the shot cost $1 with those making it making $3.

“We actually had two people make their shots, a student and a parent which was really impressive,” SCA Sponsor Leigh Walker said. “We wanted to give student who didn’t want to participate in the game a way they could still take part and the 3-pointer contest was a great way to do this. It was fun to watch even.”

In addition to the hosting the game that was held from 3:30-5:30 p.m. the SCA also sold concessions of pizza, drinks, candy and more, all benefiting school programs.

Final score for the first match-up of the students against the students was 21-17 with team 1 taking the lead. Final score for the faculty/staff against team 1 was 20-17 with the faculty taking the win. The final score of the last match, the faculty/staff against team 2 was 25-7 with the faculty/staff taking this win as well.

“I would have loved to play a couple more games. I think if we had the red team could have beat the teachers,” Pritchett said. “Next year I think the student teams will be even better, more competitive, and we will really beat the teachers.”